PathWays PA’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax preparation so low-income filers can access valuable tax refunds and credits.
By volunteering only 3 – 4 hours a week during tax season, you alone can return over $30,000 to local working families! Last year, volunteer preparers with PathWays PA assisted more than 3,300 individuals and families in Greater Philadelphia, Delaware and Camden Counties. Together, we brought back over $4.3 million in tax refunds to our local communities. This year, we hope to reach more families than ever – and we need your help! PathWays PA needs volunteers during the day, afternoons, evenings or Saturdays. No tax experience is required; free IRS-certified tax training is provided.
Training on tax law is offered through the IRS e-learning tool Link & Learn:
• Link & Learn is an online, self paced program that is easy to follow and builds knowledge and confidence.
• Training begins in November, but start dates are flexible.
• There are two paths to certification- Basic or Advanced. We require most volunteers to complete Basic Certification.
• Each certification path will take between 23-30 hours to complete, depending on your experience level.
• Link & Learn online training is supplemented by classroom training of 6-8 hours on TaxWise Software, asset development, customer service and cultural competency.
PathWays PA offers onsite customized classroom training for groups of volunteers in lieu of Link & Learn.
As a PathWays PA VITA volunteer you will:
• File tax returns, bringing thousands of dollars back to low-income working families.
• Become an IRS-certified tax preparer.
• Volunteer at sites throughout Philadelphia & the Delaware County region.
• Have your own tax return filed for free!
Volunteering with VITA is an opportunity to pay it forward! Spending a few hours each week with other volunteers is an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Not only will you feel a sense of pride by helping people fulfill their tax obligations, but you also will learn new skills that will benefit you outside the VITA Program. Investing your time in our VITA program is an investment in your local families and communities! You can read more about what it is like to volunteer in our volunteer testimonies.
If you’re interested in volunteering, please call 610-543-5022